Are you getting ready for a summer holiday this year? Or packing the kids off to school each day with their lunch box and homework? Or do you have an active child who spends all of their time running around and playing outdoors?
Whatever your case might be, ensuring your child has the right sun protection is important for looking after their skin health.
Have a quick read of some tips below from the fabulous Solar Buddies to help you stay protected wherever you are this summer!
Here are some of our handy tips to know what to shop for when buying sunscreen.
1) Make sure it carries the label “broad spectrum” – This provides both UVA and UVB protection. UVA protects against skin damage; for example ageing of the skin and UVB protects against skin burn from the sun.
2) A recommended minimum SPF of 30 – According to experts sunscreen higher than 30SPF do not provide significantly more sun protection. The key is to reapply often to ensure all day round protection as highlighted below.
3) Sunscreen should be water resistant – Even if you are not intending to take a dip in the pool or in the sea, kids who are active and running around a lot in hot weather will sweat and will need a water resistant sunscreen.
4) Reapply sunscreen every one to two hours – If children are outside in the sun they need to re-apply at regular intervals to maintain all day protection.
5) Consider hypoallergenic – If your child is young or has sensitive skin then this is worth considering.
6) Easy to apply – Most kids and parents dislike applying sunscreen which discourages them from reapplying it frequently. Solar Buddies easy to use sunscreen applicator is perfect to keep your child protected and encourage sunscreen application. It is even loved by big kids who hate getting in mess!
There are other considerations to make sure your child is protected from the sun. Other handy tips for sun safety for kids are:
– When possible, wear sun protection clothing that has a UPF of 15 to 50+. The sun protection clothing should be made of tightly woven fabric.
– Wear sunglasses that provide UVA and UVB protection.
– Wear a baseball cap for better protection of the face and head.
– Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated.
– Take shade during peak sun hours.
– Use an after sun product to keep skin moisturised. If you are in a warm country where insects and mosquitos are an issue then consider buying after sun with an insect repellent.
"Get 10% off all solar buddies products if you shop using the link below and add the code MINI10 at checkout."
We've got a Solar Buddies Duo Applicator up for grabs this week (worth £14.99) for one lucky winner. These child-friendly, refillable applicators are a must have this summer - not only is there less mess and no waste, but kids can have fun and apply their own sunscreen!
Posted on Jan 15, 2019 by Matt
Laura, Mini First Aid Durham, tells her story. "I wanted a job I could be proud of!" What was it that prompted you to consider a career c...Read more...